09 Jan 2013
January 9, 2013
- Clean boxes daily. Most cats prefer unscented, clumping litter. Empty the box completely and wash with mild detergent at least every 2 weeks. Never use ammonia or harsh detergents.
- You should have one more litter box than the number of cats in the house.
- Most cats like uncovered boxes with at least 3" of litter.
- Remember that as cats age, you may need to use a litter box that is a little lower, allowing arthritic cats easier access. Older cats benefit from night lights near their boxes, also.
- Place boxes away from high traffic areas, away from children and noise, to give our feline friends some privacy.
- Once a carpet is soiled, we recommend using enzymatic cleaners that neutralize the odors. Any lingering scent of an "accident" will attract the cat back to the same spot.
- Changes in schedule, construction, and new additions to the household (human or animal) can all lead to cats not using their boxes.