09 Dec 2012
December 9, 2012

Holiday Hazards

The holidays are a time for bringing families together, but they can also pose a problem for your cat or dog.Some things to think about:
  • Make sure your pet is wearing a form of identification-with all the holiday company,sometimes a pet will fly out the door and be "dashing through the snow."
  • The water in the Christmas tree stand and the leaves from many holiday plants can cause diarrhea and stomach upset if ingested.
  • Tinsel may make your holiday decor sparkle, but if eaten by your cat, it can be trapped in their intestinal tract, requiring a surgery to remove it.
  • CHOCOLATE- Chocolate can be toxic to dogs. Even a small amount of chocolate can make a dog sick, depending on the size of the dog and the type of chocolate eaten. Baker's chocolate and dark chocolate are the most dangerous. So start your New Year's resolutions early-have less chocolate in the house (or at least keep it hidden)
For many pets, the holiday hustle and bustle can prove to be stressful. Aged pets or those not used to  people "in their space" may benefit from a room all to themselves until peace is restored to their kingdom.   From all of us at GVVC, a happy and healthy holiday season to you and your families.